Pages

Track 1 off Catalyst: "Caught Inside"

Lyrics: The title of this song was basically stolen. I met a belly dancer at a flamenco club in NY. I was telling her about an author friend of mine Tom Farber (who I met through Max Track) who wrote a book called “On Water” which I was reading and loving. She in turn told me about this great book “Caught Inside” by Daniel Duane that her friend recently gave her depicting the life of a surfer in Santa Cruz for a year. Very coincidentally Tom Farber was in town. We were talking about his book when I mentioned “Caught Inside” to him. Turns out Tom was Daniel’s writing professor at Berkeley and a bit of a mentor to him as well. Sushi! So I wrote the lyric with Daniel’s book title and the influence of tom’s book all tied into my life.

Most of the lyrics came after coming home from a surf session at Robert Moses beach with my brother Patrick. He was driving and I was scribbling on scrap paper. The literal meaning of being caught inside is when one is paddling through a set that is breaking before them and they have no choice but to eat it. The song is a basic metaphor for being in the trappings of one’s own mind set with a sense of having no way out. It is also a question: do we unconsciously set ourselves up to fall to see if the Universe is watching and wants us to learn something? And after you may have come away from a situation in a better position why do you actually feel like shit? There are a few references to things going on in my life at the time like the post-grief period of a relationship, changes in my band and the uncertainty of where I was headed. I felt jaded and raw, sick of the monotonous stretches in between times of grand events hence the “sets and lulls” reference from Tom’s book.

I actually just started reading “Caught Inside” after finally ordering it from Amazon and was promised to be introduced to Daniel by another friend of mine. As for Tom – I must thank him for letting me steal.

Music: The music started on guitar in a way many of my ideas do, doodling while talking to someone. I was in Florida doing some work with my friend Jack Stein at a studio in Miami. That night I was sleeping on the studio floor; actually a very comfy shag rug. Talking to Jack and friends the music was forming. It was the verse, which of course I had to throw a weird chord into (the 4th one) b/c I get bored with regular chords. The bridge is straight up Filter from Jack and I listening to Almagut at the time. I had a different chorus that Toby wrote but he left the band at the time to have his kid. This was kind of a blessing in disguise b/c the chorus I came up with is one of my favorite chord progressions I’ve written. This was the first song Andrew played on with us and I thought he did a great job – a nice laid back feel and cool ride cymbal work. Taylor as usual found all the odd notes and made them sound great. And the harmonies, gotta have the harmonies!